Date: 26 Dec 2021
ICSPR sends a briefing note on the situation of Palestinian child rights during 2021 to international human rights organizations.
The International Commission to Support Palestinians’ Rights (ICSPR) informed international organizations and personnel of the situation of Palestinian child rights and the violations to which they are exposed by the Israeli occupation, urging them to intervene urgently and make more efforts using their legal and moral mandate to compel the occupation state and its military and civilian agents alike to stop their violations against Palestinian children.
The note included a precise statistic conducted on the situation of the Palestinian child in 2021, showing that:
- The number of children under 18 reached about 2.31 million (1.18 million male and 1.13 million female). Thus, the percentage of children in Palestine is about 44.2% of the total population, 42.0% in the West Bank and 47.5% in the Gaza Strip.
- Israel still practices a policy of arrest and detention against Palestinian children, where the Palestine Center for Prisoner Studies indicated that the rate of arrested Palestinian children since the beginning of 2021 has reached (1,000) children, of whom (160) are still in detention, in addition to their exposure to violations during detention, in violation of rules of international law and the Convention on the Rights of the Child.
- Four children from the Gaza Strip were arrested while they were hunting birds or even hiking and exploring the areas near the separation fence.
- Israel has prevented humanitarian aid from reaching children, where 28% of requests from the Gaza Strip for children to receive health care were rejected.
- The martyrdom of (77) children in the occupied Palestinian territories, 16 of them in the West Bank, including Jerusalem, and (61) in the Gaza Strip were martyred during the Israeli aggression on the Strip, which lasted for 11 days.
- Thousands of children in the Gaza Strip have been deprived of their right to education as a result of the Israeli occupation forces targeting schools during the recent aggression on Gaza, where (197) schools and medical centers were partially damaged whether by targeting them directly or by targeting their surroundings.
The note also demanded a provision of international protection for the children of Palestine against Israeli violations and prosecuting it for its international crimes against Palestinian children.