Date: 24 Oct 2021
ICSPR calls on the international community to urgently intervene to save the life of the Palestinian prisoner “Miqdad Al-Qawasmi”, who is on hunger strike for 95 days.
The International Commission to Support Palestinians’ Rights (ICSPR) follows up the deteriorating health conditions of the Palestinian prisoner: Miqdad Al-Qawasmi (24 years) with condemnation, who continues his open hunger strike for the 95th day in a row, in protest against his administrative detention by the Israeli occupation authorities.
According to his family statement to the media, there was a serious deterioration in the health of the hunger-striking prisoner on Saturday, October 23, 2021, which called for a medical staff guarded by the occupation forces to enter his room and expel us from the hospital. The family added that the hospital administration deals with him as a prisoner not a patient, and deprives him of many of his rights, where Miqdad suffers from arbitrary measures against him.
ICSPR holds the occupation fully responsible for the life of the prisoner “Qawasmi” who is detained in the occupation prisons, and who is on hunger strike for (95) days in a row, and reaffirms that the Israeli occupation authorities are deliberately adopting coercive policies against the Palestinian prisoners and detainees with the aim of undermining their dignity. Therefore, ICSPR confirms its support for their just and legitimate demands until their freedom, and demands the following:
- ICSPR holds the occupation authorities fully responsible for the life of the prisoner “Qawasmi” and all Palestinian prisoners and detainees in its prisons, and calls for a response to their demands that prompted them to go on strike.
- ICSPR calls on the international community to intervene to compel the occupation state to abide by international human rights standards, especially the conventions and charters on the rights of prisoners and those deprived of their liberty, the Standard Minimum Rules for the Treatment of Prisoners of 1955 and the set of principles relating to the protection of all persons subjected to any form of detention or Imprisonment of 1988, in the context of its dealings with Palestinian prisoners and detainees.
- ICSPR calls on the International Committee of the Red Cross to urgently intervene to prevent further deterioration of the humanitarian conditions of prisoners and detainees on hunger strike.
- ICSPR calls on the Office of the Prosecutor of the International Criminal Court to open an immediate investigation into the grave Israeli violations against Palestinian prisoners and detainees, including those on hunger strike, in occupation prisons.
- ICSPR calls on the Palestinian Authority to activate official and popular diplomacy, and to assign Palestinian embassies and missions to international organizations, to raise awareness on the just issue of Palestinian prisoners and detainees, with the aim of mobilizing global support for them and putting pressure on the occupation authority to release them.